Friday, February 27, 2009

My Grandma

Lately I have been thinking about all the great people who I met and learned from throughout my life. It must have something to do with the birth of my second child. I also saw an add for a new CVS contest about caregivers. You can check out the link www.ForAllTheWaysYouCare.com.

The greatest influence in my life has always been my grandmother. Since I was little she was my support. She was there when I needed her always. Unfortunately she died two years ago, but she is always with me in whatever I do. The last years of her life where not easy. My uncle got diagnosed with skin cancer and was told he only had 6 months to life. He managed to life for a year and then his body gave up. My grandmother always looked brave and strong, but come to find out when she was alone she was scared, sad and angry. No one should loose a child, but to loose your child when you are 83 years old feels unfair. After his dead she stayed strong to support the family and my dad.

Two years later her body gave up. I remember I would talked to her on the phone several times and she told me she spend a couple of days in the hospital. She always told me after the fact, so I didn't have to worry. The last time she got hospitalized was initially for fluid in her lungs, but we quickly noticed this was the end. The doctor's finally confessed that my grandmother had heart and lung problems for awhile, but she never told any one in the family. She didn't want to burden anyone. She never worried about herself, only about others. She had a friend who lived in the same building as she did and he was the only one who new what was going on. He was her strength when she couldn't get out of bed or when she needed soeone to lean on. I tell people when they ask about my grandmother 's dead that she died from a broken heart and is the real truth.

All her wisdom and advice are with me every day. My daughter met her great grandmother when she was 1,5 years old for the last time, but I will make sure she knows her for the rest of her life.

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online